Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Percussion Workshop :)

Today, David from the "Jabba Jabba Jembe" came into school to do a percussion workshop with us, using various types of African-style drums & other smaller percussion instruments. The first thing we did was take a drum each (I took the jembe drum) & learnt a simple rhythm to get us used to the instruments.
We then went on to both copying Dave's and composing our own rhythms both with the drums & other instruments such as the cowbell. I really enjoyed this part because the whole class had to concentrate and work completely in sync with each other to generate the desired effect. I must say, it sounded pretty amazing when the entire class was playing their specific rhythm; I don't know what it is about playing these drums, but it really releases all your energy; you just can't play them & not be cheerful :)
Just to give us a better insight into the origins of the drums & the style of music, Dave showed us a quick 10-minute video on youtube, where people living in West Africa explained & showed us, how their whole lives go on a rhythm, no matter what they're doing...like farming/cleaning/cooking, etc. I thought it was fascinating to learn about such a traditional, unique culture.
I would definitely recommend anybody to take up the drums as a hobby, it's very therapeutic! I had a great day overall & I think Dave did an excellent job at orchestrating the whole thing; I reckon next years TY classes would thoroughly enjoy it as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment